Apple MacBook Pro with the M1 chip, released in late 2020, marked Apple’s major transition from Intel processors to its own custom silicon. This model was introduced alongside the MacBook Air with the M1 chip. Here’s a summary of its key features and specifications as of 2021:
Specification Of Apple MacBook Pro M1
- Apple M1 Chip: This chip integrates an 8-core CPU (with 4 high-performance cores and 4 high-efficiency cores) manufactured using a 5nm process. Additionally, it includes an 8-core GPU and a 16-core Neural Engine for machine learning tasks.
- RAM: Apple MacBook Pro Comes with 8GB of unified memory as standard, with an option to upgrade to 16GB.
- Storage: SSD options begin at 256GB and can be expanded up to 2TB.
- Display: A 13.3-inch Retina display with True Tone technology and a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels.
- Ports: Two Thunderbolt 3/USB 4 ports, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and the Touch Bar, which replaces the function keys at the top of the keyboard.
- Battery Life: Apple claims the MacBook Pro M1 offers up to 17 hours of web browsing or up to 20 hours of video playback, making it one of the laptops with the longest battery life in Apple’s lineup.
- Operating System: The device comes with macOS Big Sur pre-installed, optimized to take full advantage of the M1 chip’s capabilities.
- Design: The MacBook Pro retains its familiar design but with an active cooling system (fan), unlike the MacBook Air, which is fanless.
- Performance: With the M1 chip, the MacBook Pro has seen significant performance gains and better power efficiency compared to its Intel counterparts. This makes it suitable for a range of professional tasks, from software development to content creation.
- Software Compatibility: While the M1 chip can natively run apps designed for it, it also uses Rosetta 2, a translation layer, to run apps that were originally designed for Intel-based Macs.
- FaceTime HD Camera: The 720p camera is paired with the M1 chip’s image signal processor, providing better video quality, especially in low light conditions.
By many accounts, the introduction of the M1 chip in the MacBook Pro was revolutionary, offering significant performance and efficiency improvements over previous Intel-based models. However, potential buyers should always consider the software and peripheral compatibility and their specific needs when deciding on a purchase. Price of Apple MacBook Pro –